Things you will need
- Wine colored polymer clay
- Metal crochet hook
- A toothpick or something fine pointed to add detail
- Black acrylic paint
- Brown acrylic paint
- Wine colored acrylic paint
- Makeup sponge
1. As always, we need to start off with a base. Take a piece of clay and just roll it around the crochet hook. Rub it between your hands to smooth out any seams.
2. Take a little band of clay and place it in the middle. Rub out the ends so it looks ridged around the edges.
4. Now we add the knots and the wood grain. Take small pieces of clay and add them to shaft of the wand. I usually do about two or three knots. To add the wood grain, take a toothpick or a tool and just start at the top of and kind of trace around the knots.
5. For the bottom ball of the wand, I used a piece of foil and just crumpled it around the clay. Try not to let it touch anything but the ball on the bottom.
4. Now for some final details! For the middle band, use your toothpick or tool to draw circles. I did a small circle than a bigger one, and a bigger one around that. It doesn't matter if they're perfect. I just did this all the way around the band. Finally, draw a U shape (I don't know how else to describe it) from the middle of the top to the back.
5. Then bake according to your packaging's instructions. I had to bake mine for about an hour.
6. Once the wand is completely cool it is now ready to be painted. I mixed black and the wine color and used a little bit of the makeup sponge and the tweezers to sponge on the paint. I wanted the color of the clay to peek through a bit. I used the black on the handle part of the wand. Next, I mixed the brown and wine color and painted the rest of the wand with this color. I used the same technique with the sponge and the tweezers. With the brown color I wanted it to be more opaque.
That's how I made Harry Potter's wand into a crochet hook grip!
I hope you guys enjoyed this and if you have any questions always feel free to ask!
Don't want to make one? You can buy one here at my etsy.
Other Harry Potter crafts